MINISTRY OF EDUCATION AND SCIENTIFIC
RESEARCH ORDINANCE NO.XVI OF 1962
to regulate development and control of sports
Whereas: it is expedient to regulate the development and control of Sports in Pakistan;
Now, therefore, in pursuance of the Proclamation of the seventh day of October, 1958, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
1. Short title, extent and commencement.- (1) This Ordinance shall be called the Sports (Development and Control) Ordinance, 1962.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions. - In this Ordinance, unless there is any thing repugnant in the subject or context:-
(i) "Sports" shall include, Hockey, Football, Athletics, Wrestling, Cricket, Weightlifting, Squash Rackets, Swimming, Boxing, Cycling, Basketball, Golf, Volleyball, Rifle Shooting, Table Tennis, Badminton, Lawn Tennis, Polo, Racing, Body Building, Skiing, Mountaineering, and any other activity which the Central Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, specify. Add Chess and Rowing vide Ministry of Education Notification No. F20-66/70-Sports, dated the 27th August, 1970 . And Adventure, Bridge, Billiards and Snooker, Equestrian, Gymnastics, Handball, Judo Karate, Kabaddi, Shooting Ball, Tae Kwon Do and Yachting vide Culture and Sports Division Notification No F.9-29/77-S-1 dated the 26th June, 1993 .
(ii) "Board" means a Board constituted under this Ordinance, for the control of Sports in Pakistan.
3. Establishment of the Board.- (1) As soon as may be after the commencement of this Ordinance, the Central Government may, for the purposes of promoting and developing uniform standards of competitions in Sports in Pakistan comparable to the standards prevailing internationally, and regulating and controlling sports in Pakistan on a national basis, by notification in the official Gazette, constitute, one or more boards for the control of Sports in Pakistan.
(2) A board shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose off property both moveable and immovable .
4. Name, Constitution, Powers and Function of a Board.- The name, constitution, powers and functions of a Board shall be such as may be determined by the Central Government .
5. Exclusive right to make rules for the development, control and uniformity of sports throughout Pakistan.- A Board may make rules and regulations for carrying its objects into effect.
MOHAMMAD AYUB KHAN, N.Pk., H.J.,
Rawalpindi , the 30th April, 1962